Verizon DSL moving to CGN

Sam Hayes Merritt, III sam at themerritts.org
Mon Apr 8 02:56:40 UTC 2013

> MAP is all about stateless (NAT64 of Encapsulation) and IPv6 enabled
> access. MAP makes much more sense in any SP network having its internet
> customers do IPv4 address sharing and embrace IPv6.

What may make 'much more sense' in one network, doesn't necessarily make
as much since in another network. As I understand it, MAP requires at
least a software change on existing CPE, if not wholesale CPE change.
Some providers may prefer to implement CGN instead if the capital outlay
is less (and providing new CPE to customers through walkins or truck rolls
can be problematic).

Our plan for my company at this time is to deploy native IPv4+IPv6 to
all customers. While we are doing that, continue discussions and testing
with CGN providers so that when we are unable to obtain anymore IPv4
addresses, we can then deploy CGN. Our hope is that we never get to the
point of having to go CGN but we have to be ready in case that day comes
and have our implementation and opt-out (if available) processes ready.

What devices does Cisco support MAP on? Specifically, does the DPC3827
support it?

sam