Verizon DSL moving to CGN

Oliver Garraux oliver at g.garraux.net
Sun Apr 7 22:43:25 UTC 2013

If I'm an ISP deploying a network for users today, I effectively have to
provide some mechanism to allow those users to get to IPv4 only content.
 There is way too much stuff out there that is IPv4 only today.

Yes, content providers should provide IPv6 access....but if I'm an ISP, I
can't really control that aspect.  If I provide users with a service that
isn't able to connect to 80% of websites (to say nothing of VPN's,
corporate email services, etc, that people may need), I'm not going to have
a whole lot of business.

Now - I completely agree that ISP's must start deploying IPv6 natively.
 Legacy equipment that doesn't support IPv6 is not an acceptable
excuse....its just evidence of poor decision making and short-sighed
purchasing decisions.  CGN clearly isn't ideal and doesn't mitigate the
need for native IPv6 connectivity.  But right now, native IPv6 connectivity
is still not a substitute for some level of IPv4 connectivity, even if its
CGN'ed.

Oliver

Oliver Garraux
Check out my blog:  blog.garraux.net
Follow me on Twitter:  twitter.com/olivergarraux