Verizon DSL moving to CGN

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 02:11:14 UTC 2013

On 6 April 2013 18:24, cb.list6 <cb.list6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting.
>
> http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/highspeedinternet/networking/troubleshooting/portforwarding/123897.htm

> What is  CGN - and How to opt-out The number and types of devices using the Internet have increased dramatically in recent years and, as a result, address space for these devices is being rapidly exhausted. Today’s technology for IP addresses is referred to as IPv4 (Internet Protocol version 4). The IP addresses aligned with IPv4 are expected to be depleted at some point in the near future. The next generation of IP address space is IPv6, which will enable far more addresses to be assigned than IPv4. Unfortunately, most servers and other Internet devices will not be speaking IPv6 for a while, so IPv4 will remain standard for some time to come.
>
> During this transitional period, in select areas for High Speed Internet residential customers, Verizon will be implementing Carrier Grade Network Address Translation (CGN or Carrier Grade NAT). Verizon FiOS and Verizon Business customers are not impacted at this time by the change. This transition will enable Verizon to continue serving customers with IPv4 internet addresses. CGN will not impact the access, reliability, speed, or security of Verizon’s broadband services. However, there are some applications such as online gaming, VPN access, FTP service, surveillance cameras, etc., that may not work when broadband service is provided via a CGN.
>
> For our customers utilizing these types of applications, Verizon provides the ability to "opt out “of CGN. To "opt out" you must:
>
>     Be a Residential customer with High Speed Internet Service. There is no need to “opt-out” if you are a FiOS or Business customer.
>     Have already been transitioned to the Carrier Grade Network by Verizon. If you are a Residential High Speed Internet customer and are unable to opt-out, it is likely that you have not yet been transitioned to CGN.
>

> To "opt out" of CGN sign onto your My Verizon account and select "Opt out of Carrier Grade Network".

I like how, according to the document, Verizon must first break your
connectivity, prior to you being able to opt-out. :-)

Also:

> select "Opt out of Carrier Grade Network"

Smart wording. :-)

Frankly, I'm surprised to see this news.  I thought Verizon had better
things to do that plan any kind of upgrades or changes to something
that everyone thought they consider dead anyways.

C.