Speedtest Results speedtest.net vs Mikrotik bandwidth test

Steve Haavik shaavik at soc.lib.md.us
Thu Apr 4 10:45:45 UTC 2013

> It'd be nice to know if NDT was not accurate as well.  Anyone tested it?

We've been using it for a few years. On my laptop that runs linux I get
fairly consistent results (around 935Mb/s up and down right now) over a
1Gig routed link (a couple routers and a firewall in between.) On the Windows
boxes I usually see a 100 to 200 Mb/s drop on the upload side. The last
time I checked, you can compile a commandline version of the client. I
seem to remember the commandline client not taking quite as bad a hit on
the tests compared to running it on linux, but it's been a while since I
tried it.

For us it's been way more accurate than the various speedtest servers our
customers insist on trying. A while back I switched from compiling my own
kernel and NDT to using perfSONAR-PS (http://psps.perfsonar.net/). I like
that they've got live-cd and net-install versions. If nothing else it's
useful for pointing out the difference between a local network issue and
Internet Suckage.