Speedtest Results speedtest.net vs Mikrotik bandwidth test

Carl Rosevear crosevear at skytap.com
Thu Apr 4 04:20:11 UTC 2013

I have paid the ransom.  Actually we pay it on a recurring basis even.  ;)
As for what it peaks at, good question.  The infrastructure we run it on is
going to be the problem at some point, although currently has not proven to
be a limiting factor to the best of my knowledge.  Our customers see valid
results...  I mean obviously it's not showing their link speed, it is
showing the characteristics of their connectivity to our speed test server.
 We use a couple of threads on the download test and if I take results,
divide by number of threads, look at the connection characteristics and do
the math to estimate throughput, there is at least usable parity there.
 But it's really useful for our support team when a customer is complaining
about some kind of bandwidth/latency issue into our cloud.  We have some
people in far places with 300+ms latency and 30+ms jitter, etc, trying to
use interactive sessions.  Oh and to be more correct, we actually have the
whole Ookla Line Quality package.  Very useful for us.  Also, customers
seem to love the whole flash animation thing.  Its what web users expect
these days...  it's really been a great experience for everyone... no
complaints on our end, aside from price, but I am always complaining about
that.  For those trying to just jam bits through a pipe to see if their
last mile is performing, slightly less useful unless there is one at their
ISP, but that is not our use case.

-Carl

--
*Carl Rosevear*