RFC 1149

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Apr 3 01:16:08 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Steven Bellovin" <smb at cs.columbia.edu>

> DLT? I first heard it as a station wagon full of (9-track, 1600 bpi,
> that having been the state of the art) mag tapes on the Taconic Parkway,
> circa 1970. I suspect, though, that Herman Hollerith expressed the idea
> about a stage coach full of punchcards, back in the 1880s.

The earliest reference to this I've been able to pin down is Andy Tanenbaum's,
and TTBOMK -- and you of all people should know this, Steve -- he was talking
about Usenet, which a few sites actually *got feeds of on magtape*, in the
very early 80s.  Some of those tapes, in addition to UTZoo's backups of their
spool, constituted the very earliest material given to Dejagoo.

Cheers,
-- jra