Open Resolver Problems

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Tue Apr 2 02:44:49 UTC 2013

On Apr 2, 2013, at 9:09 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> In the majority of the US where it is rural, there is even less choice.

Largest in geography <> largest in population.

> Even where there are multiple providers, they often all provide the same limitations in their AUP unless you go to higher priced services.

If you don't like the pricing, that's quite different from claiming extortion.

Look, I'm no fan of semi-monopolies, 'unlimited' capacity which isn't, and so forth.  But there *are* choices in most US broadband markets; maybe not the choices which we'd find ideal, maybe at a price-point higher than we think is fair, but the point is that there are choices, and nobody is forcing anyone to spend money for services he doesn't wish to purchase.

I'd like to see UK-style structural separation in the US, as that would greatly increase opportunities to compete.  I doubt it will ever happen, though.

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton