Speedtest Results speedtest.net vs Mikrotik bandwidth test

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Apr 2 00:27:18 UTC 2013

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013, Lorell Hathcock wrote:

> I am having some speedtest results that are difficult to interpret.
>
> Some of my customers have begun complaining that they are not getting the
> proper speeds.  They are using speedtest.net and/or speakeasy.net to test
> the results.

Take the speedtest results with a grain of salt.  Once traffic leaves your
network, you no longer have (much) control over how packets flow across
the 'rest of the internet'.

Did the customers report when the issue started?
Are they seeing other performance problems (latency/jitter/packet loss)?
Are you sure no internal links/routers are being saturated, even for brief
periods of time?

jms