BCP38 tester?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Apr 1 02:32:28 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jason Lixfeld" <jason at lixfeld.ca>

> I believe that most everyone has a CPE of some sort, whether their
> service is resi or commercial. So, what about shifting the focus to
> the CPE manufacturers? They bend to technology and/or market pressures
> by bringing things like NAT, Firewalls, DLNA, UPnP, IPv6 (heh), PPPoE,
> RFC1483, etc. to their respective products in to satisfy technology
> limitations or security concerns or whatever. Why can't they help the
> cause by implementing some sort of RFC'ified BCP38 thing?

This thought crossed my mind earlier today, when I asked Jeff if IP-forged
packets would make it through a NAT, outbound.  He said no (I think), but
I'm not entirely sure that's right.

While that would be egress filtering, from the POV of the home-LAN, it
would still help in the trojan-horse-bot situation, as long as it couldn't
be opened up via something like PPTP, and would thus still be useful,
to some extent, sure.

Cheers,
-- jra