Angled Polish Connectors and DWDM

Aaron Glenn aaron.glenn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 10:14:45 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Igor Ybema <igor at ergens.org> wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
>
>> Are there situations when angled connectors are not
>> to be used? Are they 'safe' or even recommended for any kind of DWDM
>> application?
>
> To my knowledge APC is always better than PC connectors. APC are used
> to eliminate back reflections. Due to the angled connector reflections
> are sent mostly towards the cladding and not the core and therefore.

Indeed. I have always held the idea that APC connectors induced
greater chromatic and/or polarization mode dispersion -- yet can't
find any resources that claim so, nor does that fit in with my working
mental model of how light propagates. Just something I picked up
during the hellish days of trying to deploy 10GbE before it was cool;
now I'd like to know if it is grounded in any science (-:

Thanks
aaron