Angled Polish Connectors and DWDM

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Sep 30 09:59:17 UTC 2012

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012, Igor Ybema wrote:

> To my knowledge APC is always better than PC connectors. APC are used to
> eliminate back reflections. Due to the angled connector reflections are
> sent mostly towards the cladding and not the core and therefore.

I've been told this is very important in HFC solutions (hybrid fibre
coax).

Operationally though, having APC is a hassle. I know of companies who
mandated APC for a few years for all installations, but then reverted back
to UPC due to operational problems (people putting UPC cables into APC
ODFs etc).

So while APC might be technically superior when properly installed, it's
not always better when looking at the whole "system".

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se