/. Terabit Ethernet is Dead, for Now

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu Sep 27 14:39:57 UTC 2012

On 9/27/12 5:58 AM, Darius Jahandarie wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>> http://slashdot.org/topic/datacenter/terabit-ethernet-is-dead-for-now/
>>
>> Terabit Ethernet is Dead, for Now
> I recall 40Gbit/s Ethernet being promoted heavily for similar reasons
> as the ones in this article, but then 100Gbit/s being the technology
> that actually ended up in most places. Could this be the same thing
> happening?

40Gb/s appears to be doing just fine in top of rack switches and
datacenter distribution layer. Given that it's in most server NIC
roadmaps in the relatively near term it doesn't have significant
barriers to becoming the volume offering of choice. getting datacenters
off of om3/4 multimode  distribution is a long project however.