guys != gender neutral

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Fri Sep 28 00:36:35 UTC 2012

On Sep 27, 2012, at 11:36 AM, JC Dill wrote:
> It's NOT helping to equivocate "guys" and "girls"!

*shrug* Sorry you are offended. Some are, most of my friends use those terms interchangeably. (I'm referring to friends of the female gender) Apparently some on the east coast get offended by this, but that post was to a tight audience who I knew well. I use 'boys' and 'guys' interchangeably too, and that probably offends someone. It's not sexism :)

> I really wish folks would dig a bit deeper into the thesaurus to find appropriate words.  One can use a variety of gender neutral words with some simple re-writing.  Remember, it's perfectly OK to employ singular "they" as well.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

I completely disagree. Abusing plural words causes confusion when trying to discuss topics and be specific about the numbers involved.

--
Jo Rhett