guys != gender neutral

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Thu Sep 27 21:22:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012, Landon Stewart wrote:

> On 27 September 2012 11:34, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>
> > When did "people" stop being an acceptable gender-neutral substitute for
> > {guys,gals}?
> >
> > Owen
> >

> Using the word 'people' is good but I like to say 'humans'.
>
> What's up humans?
> Can I get you humans to drink?
>
> This rarely offends anyone.

This discussion is a well-trodden (and tediously dull) path.  My favourite
response to it:

  http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1001&L=UVMRESNET&D=0&P=2278

Thank you Jason Healy.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.