/. Terabit Ethernet is Dead, for Now

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu Sep 27 14:46:08 UTC 2012

On 27/09/2012 14:58, Darius Jahandarie wrote:
> I recall 40Gbit/s Ethernet being promoted heavily for similar reasons
> as the ones in this article, but then 100Gbit/s being the technology
> that actually ended up in most places. Could this be the same thing
> happening?

no.  the IEEE working group was split between 40GE and 100GE and ended up
supporting both.  As a result, the vendors ended up having to split time
and resources investigating both, which was to the huge detriment of the
industry.  It's a good thing that they're deciding on a single spec, even
if it isn't as fast as some people might like.

Nick