/. Terabit Ethernet is Dead, for Now

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Sep 27 13:07:59 UTC 2012

On Sep 27, 2012, at 8:58 AM, Darius Jahandarie <djahandarie at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recall 40Gbit/s Ethernet being promoted heavily for similar reasons
> as the ones in this article, but then 100Gbit/s being the technology
> that actually ended up in most places. Could this be the same thing
> happening?

I would say yes, except for the physics involved here.  Getting the signal done optically is the "easy" part.

I'm not concerned if the next step after 100 is 400.  It's in the right direction and a fair multiple.  There is also a problem in the 100GbE space where the market pricing hasn't yet reached an amount whereby the economics are "close enough" to push people beyond N*10G.

- Jared