Throw me a IPv6 bone (sort of was IPv6 ignorance)

Adrian Bool aid at logic.org.uk
Mon Sep 24 22:34:30 UTC 2012

On 24 Sep 2012, at 22:42, Mike Jones <mike at mikejones.in> wrote:

> While you could do something similar without the encapsulation this
> would require that every router on your network support routing on
> port numbers,

Well, not really.  As the video pointed out, the system was designed to leverage hierarchy to reduce routing complexity.   Using the hierarchy, port number routing is only required at the level where a routes diverge on a port basis - which if you're being sensible about such a deployment would only be at the edge of the access layer.

aid