Verizon IPv6 LTE

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Sep 21 04:14:49 UTC 2012

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012, Randy Carpenter wrote:

> In a happier note, if you tether a device via hotspot on an IOS6 iPad,
> the clients get native IPv6. Strangely, they get addresses out of the
> same /64 as the iPad's LTE interface. Anyone know how that is working? I
> would have thought they would use prefix-delegation, and there would be
> a separate routed /64.

Prefix delegation isn't generally available in mobile networks yet,
that'll come in the next few years. It's probably using ND proxy or
similar technique.

<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6459> is a good starting point for further
study, more specifically <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6459#section-5.3>
to answer your above question.