RIRs give out unique addresses (Was: something has a /8! ...)

Cutler James R james.cutler at consultant.com
Thu Sep 20 15:35:32 UTC 2012

On Sep 20, 2012, at 10:56 AM, "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund at medline.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't you say that there is a very real expectation that
> when you request address space through ARIN or RIPE that it would be
> routable?

I certainly would not say that.

I would say that I get addresses from the RIRs to avoid address collisions with other network operators using the same approach. And, please note this well, address collisions affect more than Layer three routing.  See all the previous mentions of application gateways.

James R. Cutler
james.cutler at consultant.com