The Department of Work and Pensions, UK has an entire /8

david peahi davidpeahi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 19:07:12 UTC 2012

 Those who argue that IPv4 addresses must be reclaimed seem to have
forgotten that even for small organizations, converting IPv4 address space
to RFC1918 addresses, or IPv6, is a huge task given the fixed IP addresses
of many devices (printers, copy machines, etc.), and even worse, the many
key business application programs that use hard-coded IP addresses instead
of DNS resolution. Many of these application programs were written many
years ago, and are poorly supported, such that making code changes places a
company's business success on the line. Of course, unused /8 prefixes
appear to be an abuse, but as some have noted in this thread, many large
organizations were assigned /8s decades ago, and have used them for IP
addressing for key business functions.

David