IMPLEMENTING A SOFTWARE BASED ROUTE SERVER

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Wed Sep 19 12:29:52 UTC 2012

Joseph M. Owino  (jpmuga) writes:
> Hi,
>
> Hope you are all well. I work at an exchange point and was seeking any assistance on how to implement a software based route server as currently we are using a Cisco Router for that purpose. Any form of assistance will be highly appreciated.

	Hello Joseph,

	You could do this in a number of ways, running Quagga or BIRD (or even
	BGPD) on a Linux or BSD server.

	Quagga documentation even has a chapter on this:

	http://www.nongnu.org/quagga/docs/quagga.html#SEC115

	I'm sure several people on this list have experience with this and will
	contribute. Also, it might be send this inquiry to the AfNOG list as well
	(afnog.org).

	Finally (plug) we have some resources that may be of interest to you here:

	https://nsrc.org/route-bgp-ixp.html

	Cheers,
	Phil