The Department of Work and Pensions, UK has an entire /8

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Sep 19 04:25:56 UTC 2012

On Sep 18, 2012, at 9:11 PM, Mike Hale wrote:
> I'd love to hear the reasoning for this.  Why would it be bad policy
> to force companies to use the resources they are assigned or give them
> back to the general pool?

Here's one: there's little to no legal basis for such reclamation so any such attempt would end up in the legal system. Take a gander at how long that might take. Now go look at the consumption rates for IPv4, and recognize that the relevance of reclaiming that space isn't likely to extend to even the first hearing for said court case. It's not worth the effort, for something that will eventually become valueless. And actually, not reclaiming the space will make it valueless even faster as IPv6 migration takes off.

--
Jo Rhett