IPv6 Ignorance

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Sep 18 03:19:23 UTC 2012

On Sep 17, 2012, at 16:41 , Masataka Ohta <mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> John Mitchell wrote:
>
>> I think people forget how humongous the v6 space is...
>
> They don't. Instead, they suffer from it.

I find it quite useful, actually. I would not say I suffer from it at all.

>> Remember that the address space is 2^128 (or
>> 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 addresses)
>
> That is one of a major design flaw of IPv6 as a result of failed
> attempt to have SLAAC, which resulted in so stateful and time
> wasting mechanism.
>
> As it is virtually impossible to remember IPv6 addresses, IPv6
> operation is a lot harder than necessary.
>
> 						Masataka Ohta

Hmmm... I find SLAAC quite useful so I'm not sure why you would call it time-wasting.

I also have no more difficulty remembering IPv6 addresses in general than I had with IPv4. I can generally remember the prefixes I care about and the suffixes unless machine-generated are almost always easier to remember in IPv6 because there are enough bits to make them usefully meaningful instead of dense-packed meaningless numbers.

YMMV.

Owen