IPv6 Ignorance

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 14:02:07 UTC 2012

On Sep 17, 2012 5:04 AM, "Tom Limoncelli" <tal at whatexit.org> wrote:

> My biggest fear is that statements like this will take on a life of their
own:

> " I can dual stack, then I am not out of IPv4 addresses, and thus I
> have no need for IPv6. If I'm out of IPv4 then I need IPv6 and I can't
> dual stack."  http://forum.ubnt.com/showthread.php?p=355722
>
> Not true but it certainly sounds logical to the average person.
>
> What creates this impression is that there is no "deadline".  The IPv4
> -> Dual Stack -> pure IPv6 transition is complex so everyone focuses
> on "IPv4 -> Dual Stack" forgetting that it is a transition step.  The
> final step seems so far off that people ignore it, and therefore the
> justification for the first step fades.
>
> (the remainder of this post is brainstorming; apply a grain of salt)
>
> There are ways to fix this.  For example there was a deadline for when
> Dual Stack was to go away, a "Dual Stack 10 year count-down" would
> drive the point home.  However nothing like this exists.
>
> This thread is making me think that I should change how I talk about
> IPv6 publicly.  I need to put more emphasis on DS as being a temporary
> thing.  It is in my mind but perhaps not in how I speak.

I tell folks that if ipv4 run-out is the problem in eyeball networks, then
DS cannot be the solution since it has the same problematic reliance on a
scarce ipv4 resource.

I spent a lot of time focusing on ipv6-only networking for mobile and in
many cases, thanks to world v6 launch and ipv6-only based access network
transition schemes (ds-lite, MAP, 464xlat) they can provide a solution for
eyeball networks that is one step away from ipv6-only. .... Instead of DS,
which is just one step beyond ipv4-only with a foggy road to getting off
scarce / expensive / broken ipv4

Content networks are a different beast that must be dual-stack to reach all
the eyeballs

CB