IPv6 Ignorance

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 04:12:26 UTC 2012

On 9/16/12, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> and don't bs me with how humongous the v6 address space is.  we once
> though 32 bits was humongous.
[snip]

When you consider that IPv6 is a 64-bit address space,  that is 64
bits are for addressing subnetworks,  the  "/64 spend"  for
addressing  hosts within a network as compared to v4 is  0%,  not
50%.
And there are twice as many IPv6 bits for addressing such /64s,  as
the entire IPv4 address space.

2^64  minus  2^32    is a humongous number indeed,  and we know
numerically just how humongous it is.

The  RIRs can collectively hand out    450   /32s a day or   one /24
and  one /25's worth a day, for the next   100 years, before a single
/8 would be exhausted.

And if IPv6 addressing resources last  100 years,   I would say,  that
the objective  was more than met.

--
-JH