IPv6 Ignorance

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Sep 16 21:40:16 UTC 2012

>> If I am understanding this quote correctly the author is worried IPv6
>> will run out of addresses so won't make the switch... Granted only 1/8th
>> of the IPv6 space has been allocated for internet use but that number is
>> still so mind-boggling _huge_..
>
>I would suggest it's  irrational thinking resulting from negative
>experience with IPv4.

IPv6 has its problems, but running out of addresses is not one of them.

For those of us worried about abuse management, the problem is the
opposite, even the current tiny sliver of addresses is so huge that
techniques from IPv4 to map who's doing what where don't scale.

R's,
John

PS: For anyone planning to suggest that we just ignore the low 64
bits, that doesn't help.