Big Temporary Networks

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Fri Sep 14 08:01:38 UTC 2012

To all folks running NOC's at events like CCC/Assembly/DEFCON/etc: hats
off, and enjoy the fun ;)

On 2012-09-14 09:34 , Måns Nilsson wrote:
[..]
> A couple hours will get the user over a lunch break if not overnight,
> which means that long TCP sessions survive on Proper Computers (that
> don't tear down TCP on link loss. I'm looking at you, Microsoft!).

While that is a default, one can actually disable the Media Sensing:

One of the first google hits on disable media sense:
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Disable-Media-Sense-TCPIP-Windows-XP.html

And voila, your connections keep open even if you change from wired to
wireless, as long as you get the same IP on both or if you unplug the
cable and plug it in a bit later etc.

Now if that works over sleep that is something I am not sure of, I
rarely let computers go into sleep mode (long live "NoSleep" on OSX).

Typically people who require that though will settle for the use of mosh
(http://mosh.mit.edu/) apparently.

Greets,
 Jeroen