Are people still building SONET networks from scratch?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Sep 10 20:53:00 UTC 2012

Matthew,

On Sep 10, 2012, at 4:43 PM, Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:

> This *was* a troll, right…?

I suspect it wasn't.  There's some people who equate various types of services with others.

I've been following this thread with some head-scratching going on.  Some folks think "ethernet" can only be a metro solution with STP/RSTP/MSTP/VPLS in the "cloud" of another network.

Others realize that saying ethernet as the encoding on the PHY is entirely different. (lan-phy, wan-phy, otu2, otu2e, etc).

When it comes to talking "SONET" vs "Ethernet" it is good to be very explicit.  There are a variety of ways to provide a redundant and protected service with ethernet vs sonet/sdh framing.

Some of the carrier provided "ethernet" products result in weird pricing, or plain fear.  I recall one ILEC that got an entire team on the phone with me for an ask about a 100m service purchase, because it was "huge" to them.  Their price reflected it as well :)  It was easier to stick with the city fiber network for backhaul as the pricing was sane.

- Jared