The End-To-End Internet (was Re: Blocking MX query)

Andrew Sullivan asullivan at dyn.com
Thu Sep 6 15:14:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 09:39:44PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Never mind the fact that all the hosts trying to reach you have no
> way to know what port to use.

Despite my scepticism of the overall project, I find the above claim a
little hard to accept.  RFC 2052, which defined SRV in an
experiment, came out in 1996.  SRV was moved to the standards track in
2000.  I've never heard an argument why it won't work, and we know
that SRV records are sometimes in use.  Why couldn't that mechanism be
used more widely?

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
Dyn Labs