The End-To-End Internet (was Re: Blocking MX query)

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Thu Sep 6 06:19:07 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: The End-To-End Internet (was Re: Blocking MX query) Date: Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 06:56:36PM -0400 Quoting William Herrin (bill at herrin.us):

> Thing is, spam levels *are* down a good 20% in the last couple years,
> that being about the time ISPs began doing this. More, 20% *is* in
> rough proportion the impacted customer counts on the handful of cable
> and DSL providers that implemented it.

Not here. My experience is that it is at best static, but most likely
increasing. Around here, the sad default is that it is impossible to
buy tcp/25 access except in colos and over tunnels. It does not help. It
just is a very bad precedent, it looks like you are doing something. Which
for lawyers is just as fine as efficient action.

We need to remind ourselves that this Internet thing got big simply
because it let people have computers send packets directly to other
peoples computers. There was this guy called Aesop who wrote a story
about blocking traffic on the Internet, but since the Internet wasn't
known at the time (too secret) he had to rephrase it so it became a
story about a goose that lays golden eggs.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668