Network scan tool/appliance horror stories

Jones, Barry BEJones at semprautilities.com
Tue Oct 30 15:18:18 UTC 2012

I can share with you several stories personnel (both IT or vendors), who have scanned Electric Utility environments with or without permission; and hence caused multiple failures - including electro-mechanical systems and related applications. Utilities typically utilize many industrial controllers - some of which many IT personnel have no knowledge, and some are not robust enough to weather the storm.

1. Know your environment.
2. Know your tools.
3. Communicate.