Network scan tool/appliance horror stories

Paul Thornton prt at prt.org
Mon Oct 29 19:43:41 UTC 2012

On 29/10/2012 19:25, Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> Also, if you're doing IPv6, the performance metrics for many network
> devices can be a bit more of a moving target.

I'd almost be tempted to set up a few machines doing v6 only on the LAN,
with some trivial to exploit telnet/SNMP access then invite them to scan
the LAN and see if said machines are picked up.

My experience of these things a year or two ago was that most of these
companies thought everyone had an internal flat IPv4 network in RFC1918
space and that was that.  YMMV of course.

Paul.

--
Paul Thornton