IP tunnel MTU

Templin, Fred L Fred.L.Templin at boeing.com
Mon Oct 29 16:39:19 UTC 2012

Hi Ray,

MSS rewriting has been well known and broadly applied for a long
time now, but only applies to TCP. The subject of MSS rewriting
comes up all the time in the IETF wg discussions, but has failed
to reach consensus as a long-term alternative.

Plus, MSS rewriting does no good for tunnels-within-tunnels. If
the innermost tunnel rewrites MSS to a value that *it* thinks is
safe there is no guarantee that the packets will fit within any
outer tunnels that occur further down the line.

What I want to get to is an indefinite tunnel MTU; i.e., admit
any packet into the tunnel regardless of its size then make any
necessary adaptations from within the tunnel. That is exactly
what SEAL does:

 https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-intarea-seal/

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin at boeing.com