Coded TCP

Michael Painter tvhawaii at shaka.com
Wed Oct 24 03:57:12 UTC 2012

George Herbert wrote:
> Modeled with just simple FTP sessions?
>
> Ugh: they admitted to having MIT backbone packet traces to analyze, and then used that simple of a simulator...

The practical benefits of the technology, known as coded TCP, were seen on a recent test run on a New York-to-Boston Acela
train, notorious for poor connectivity. By increasing their available bandwidth-the amount of data that can be relayed in
a given period of time-Medard and students were able to watch blip-free YouTube videos while some other passengers
struggled to get online. "They were asking us 'How did you do that?' and we said 'We're engineers!' " she jokes.

More here:
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/429722/a-bandwidth-breakthrough/?utm_campaign=newsletters&utm_source=newsletter-daily-all&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20121023