Please, talk me down.

Nicolai nicolai-nanog at chocolatine.org
Sun Oct 21 21:06:58 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 10:09:24PM +1100, Jay Mitchell wrote:
> On 18/10/2012, at 7:44 AM, Nicolai <nicolai-nanog at chocolatine.org> wrote:

> > I assume you mean stock djbdns doesn't support ip6, because it does
> > indeed support AAAA records.
>
> Actually, it doesn't, as you so kindly pointed out. It does WITH a patch.

No.  djbdns 1.05 supports AAAA records as anyone can verify.  To make
sure myself I just downloaded stock djbdns from the cr.yp.to website,
installed, and ran some aaaa queries.  Works as it always has.

$ dig aaaa he.net +short
2001:470:0:76::2

That's an unpatched, stock dnscache.  John Levine already described in
this thread how tinydns supports AAAA records, so there's no point going
over it again.

I only responded to this thread to correct misinformation.  sigh

As an aside, you may want to fix your DNS, as some mail receivers don't
like this:

$ dig -x 72.249.91.101 +short
static.serversandhosting.com.
$ dig a static.serversandhosting.com +short
72.249.3.27

Nicolai