Please, talk me down.

Octavio Alvarez alvarezp at alvarezp.ods.org
Wed Oct 17 05:22:14 UTC 2012

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 20:35:11 -0700, Joseph Anthony Pasquale Holsten
<joseph at josephholsten.com> wrote:

> I want to like IPv6. I do. But I'm seriously considering turning off
> IPv6 support from our servers.
>
> First off, I'm using djbdns internally and it doesn't support AAAA
> records. So we really aren't using it internally.
>
> But today I noticed that we have a lot of traffic to our DNS cache, and
> started to investigate. Turns out that every DNS request would start
> with one for the AAAA record. Ah, no luck. Maybe you forgot the search
> domain? Let's retry that DNS request with that tacked on. Failed again?
> Meanwhile, lets simultaneously try for the AA record then. Repeat.
>
> I'm _this_ close to turning IPv6 off entirely. Anyone want to talk me
> off this ledge?

You will eventually have to turn it on again, so you may run away from
the problem that will catch you up anyway or, better, start tackling
the problems, like fixing djbdns or replacing it with something that
works.

That's my way of seeing it. Good luck with it.

--
Octavio.

Twitter: @alvarezp2000 -- Identi.ca: @alvarezp