Please, talk me down.

Joseph Anthony Pasquale Holsten joseph at josephholsten.com
Wed Oct 17 03:35:11 UTC 2012

I want to like IPv6. I do. But I'm seriously considering turning off IPv6 support from our servers.

First off, I'm using djbdns internally and it doesn't support AAAA records. So we really aren't using it internally.

But today I noticed that we have a lot of traffic to our DNS cache, and started to investigate. Turns out that every DNS request would start with one for the AAAA record. Ah, no luck. Maybe you forgot the search domain? Let's retry that DNS request with that tacked on. Failed again? Meanwhile, lets simultaneously try for the AA record then. Repeat.

I'm _this_ close to turning IPv6 off entirely. Anyone want to talk me off this ledge?
--
http://josephholsten.com