Internet-wide port scans

Darius Jahandarie djahandarie at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 15:38:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:46 AM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 08:48:47 -0400, Darius Jahandarie said:
>> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:57 AM, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
>> > Want to re-write that section or should I respond now?  ;-)
>>
>> I always thought it wasn't allowed because of 18 USC  2701, but
>> IINAL, would be happy to hear otherwise :)
>
> If a portscan allows access to stored communications, you have bigger
> problems.

In particular, my understanding was that since you're sending a SYN,
it could very well initiate access to stored communications (although
that may have not been the intent of the SYN). But maybe I'm wrong --
and even if I'm right, this seems like something that probably
wouldn't hold in court very well anyways.

--
Darius Jahandarie