Detection of Rogue Access Points

Jonathan Rogers quantumfoam at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 15:12:30 UTC 2012

Well, quite frankly they have the tools they need. Our remote sites do not
have any devices that require wireless. They don't have company-issued
laptops, and personal laptops are not allowed. The policy is on the books
but it isn't my department to make sure people know about it and follow it.
Our end users at these branch offices are typically not very technically
inclined and have no idea what a security risk this is (especially
considering that we have EPHI on our network, although I can't really say
more in detail than that). The person who put in the WAP I discovered
doesn't even work for us any more.

Port-based security might work, but our edge switches are total garbage
(don't get me started, not in my control). I didn't find this WAP via
nmap...it didn't show up. I believe it probably didn't have a valid
management interface IP for some reason. We saw suspicious entries in the
router's ARP table and starting looking around the office from there.

--JR