Detection of Rogue Access Points

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Sun Oct 14 21:43:07 UTC 2012

> I'm looking for innovative ideas on how to find such a rogue device,
> ideally as soon as it is plugged in to the network.

There was a SIGCOMM paper a few years back that described a scheme based on measuring the the ACK delays of TCP sessions. In a nutshell, you can detect nodes on the wireless network by looking for the extra delay added by the radio link.  It had very good accuracy, and caught new nodes quickly.  It didn't require any prior knowledge of the network.

I don't have a copy of the paper at hand, and I don't remember the title/author or the publication date (2007ish?), but maybe this will ring a bell for someone else on the list who does.

--lyndon