Is a /48 still the smallest thing you can route independently?

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Oct 11 21:25:16 UTC 2012

--- jrhett at netconsonance.com wrote:
From: Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com>

I've finally convinced $DAYJOB to deploy IPv6.  Justification for the IP space is easy, however the truth is that a /64 is more than we need in all locations. However the last I heard was that you can't effectively announce anything smaller than a /48.  Is this still true?

Is this likely to change in the immediate future, or do I need to ask for a /44?

A /48 is 65536 /64s and a /44 is 16x65536 /64s.  If you
only need one subnet (1 subnet = 1 /64), why would you
try to get 16x65536 subnets, rather than the 65536 you
have in the /48?

scott