Verizon's New Repair Method: Plastic Garbage Bags

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Oct 11 19:19:08 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ryan Rawdon" <ryan at u13.net>

> On Aug 20, 2012, at 2:09 PM, Eric Wieling wrote:
> > For a while we have had a customer with some lines which go down
> > every time it rains. We put in the trouble ticket, a couple of days
> > later Verizon says the issue is resolved...until the next time it
> > rains.
> >
> > The customer sent us some pictures today of the pole outside their
> > office. The repair appears to be wrapping some plastic bags around
> > something up on the pole. Here is link to the pictures the customer
> > sent us, in case anyone in the mood for a good scare.
> >
> > http://rock.nyigc.net/verizon/
>
> I was just walking home to see similar craftsmanship (garbage bags and
> all) on two poles behind our new apartment. I believe this is AT&T
> territory in Chicago

This isn't news in GTE territory, at least; I've seen them use contractor
garbage bags -- or something akin to them -- and tie-wraps, to close
broken pedestals, and occasionally aerial closures, for at least 30 years;
GTE was Cut-To-Clear all the way back to the 80s, and maybe into the 70s.

Cheers,
-- jra