Another LTE network turns up as IPv4-only

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Oct 11 06:45:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012, Tore Anderson wrote:

> So. With a green-field deployment, in their home market (supposed to be
> the first of their tree-digit million subscribers world-wide to get all
> the cool new tech), built on 3GPP specs that fully supports IPv6,
> already proven to work by other pioneers (^5 VzW), for which there are
> plenty of compatible devices (again, ^5 VzW), and plenty of compatible
> content (^5 ISOC, et al.), four months after World IPv6 Launch (in which
> they participated), and one month after their RIR ran out of IPv4
> addresses...launching without IPv6 support was a perfectly natural and
> sensible thing for them to do, it seems.

The problem I have seen is not to get IPv6/dual stack in LTE (this worked
from day one), it's to get dual stack working in all the cases with bearer
establishment and handover between 2G/3G and 4G.

2G/3G is "fully integrated" with each other, but LTE is still kind of
separate, vendors are just now getting around to producing mobile core
nodes that support all of them with a single node for each function.

Would you want to get IPv6 when you're in the LTE network but lose it when
you were handed over to 2G/3G. My guess is not, so I believe providers
will wait until that is really done.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se