Wired access to SMS?

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 00:15:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 03:35:37PM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to do wireline access to send and receive
> cellular phone short message service (SMS) messages. Despite all my
> google-fu, I have had limited luck finding anyone that meets my needs,
> so I'm hoping someone here has found the path through. My main
> criteria are:
>

> 1. Low quantity, high reliability. I'll want a few dozen phone numbers
> and effectively I'll be sending to and receiving from phones I own.
> 2. Wireline delivery to Honolulu and Northern Virginia. Dynamically
> move numbers between the two locations for failover purposes.
> 3. U.S. based carrier. Tying in to the SMS system via Europe isn't
> acceptable to my customer.
> 4. Solution must reach phones on all U.S. cellular carriers.
> 5. Price is a very distant fifth criteria to the preceding four.

Avoid Google Voice. I've seen other recommendations on this, and it's
horrid. Most solutions are no longer updated, there is no official API from
Google, and Google changes their products regularly where stuff breaks. To
suggest it as a critical production solution blows my mind.

Instead, purchase a cellular USB modem with a standard plan. All 4 major
carriers provide APIs to interact with the modems, and you get everything
you need. They aren't cheap (something in the neighborhood of $30/month),
but they work, they are reliable, and you have a committed telecom corp
dedicated to keeping uptime high, and the API up-to-date.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o