Wired access to SMS?
bill at herrin.us
Tue Oct 9 19:35:37 UTC 2012
I'm looking for a way to do wireline access to send and receive
cellular phone short message service (SMS) messages. Despite all my
google-fu, I have had limited luck finding anyone that meets my needs,
so I'm hoping someone here has found the path through. My main
1. Low quantity, high reliability. I'll want a few dozen phone numbers
and effectively I'll be sending to and receiving from phones I own.
2. Wireline delivery to Honolulu and Northern Virginia. Dynamically
move numbers between the two locations for failover purposes.
3. U.S. based carrier. Tying in to the SMS system via Europe isn't
acceptable to my customer.
4. Solution must reach phones on all U.S. cellular carriers.
5. Price is a very distant fifth criteria to the preceding four.
I can consider Internet based systems where the provider uses U.S.
based facilities and ties in to a U.S. phone network, provided that my
standards of reliability and redundancy are met by their
Alternately, I can also consider a wireless carrier that can provide
two SIM-based phones with the same phone number for sending and
receiving SMS messages. I'd put the sims in a pair of modems and
manage deduplication of the received messages in software.
Has anybody had any luck with this kind of requirement? Which vendors
should I talk to and who at the vendor?
William D. Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com bill at herrin.us
3005 Crane Dr. ...................... Web: <http://bill.herrin.us/>
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004
More information about the NANOG