Native IPv6 providers/datacenters list?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Oct 9 15:05:29 UTC 2012

On Oct 9, 2012, at 10:42 AM, Ryan Rawdon <ryan at u13.net> wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2012, at 9:34 AM, Christopher J. Pilkington wrote:
>
>> I want to make an informed response to a comment made by our
>> CenturyLink rep regarding IPv6, in the context of SAVVIS not
>> being able to provide IPv6 at their DC3 facility:
>>
>>> There is only a handful of carriers that can provide that
>>> service today and CenturyLink (Legacy Qwest) happen to be one
>>> of them.
>>
>> Is there a list of native IPv6 providers out there somewhere,
>> particularly one that includes hosting data centers (e.g.,
>> SAVVIS), with which I could cluebat^Wshare with my rep?
>>

> I'm not sure about a list of facilities, but here's a start for transit providers who should be able to provide IPv6 connectivity:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_support_by_major_transit_providers

I'll come out in public and say that sometimes a backbone supports it but the datacenter group does not.  This is quite common core -> edge deployment strategy with network technology.  Some technology can grow from the edges inward, but IPv6 is not a technology that does it [well].

I've been observing some big increases in IPv6 traffic (its no longer measured in Mbps as from years ago, but in Gbps).  I'm waiting for it to approach a fair percentage of the IPv4 traffic but there are some big steps being made by the networks and edges to bridge this gap.

- Jared