Typical additional latency for CGN?

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 06:05:19 UTC 2012

On 10/8/12, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 16:47:18 -0400, Tom Limoncelli said:
>> Have there been studies on how much latency CGN adds to a typical
>> internet user?   I'd also be interested in anecdotes.

> Should we include the time spent talking to the help desk trying to resolve
> double-NAT'ing issues in the latency?

That's downtime to address the brokenness, or loss of availability
>1% after you count time users waste trying to navigate large
carriers' confusing telephone IVR mazes designed to obscure access to
helpdesk, hold time,  time waiting for callbacks,  and  finally,
non-resolution of  double-NAT issue  without user paying extra for
non-NAT IP;  which is all different from network latency, and of much
greater impact than a latency increase <0.1ms.

--
-JH