IPv4 address length technical design

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Oct 8 00:08:56 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Barry Shein" <bzs at world.std.com>

> Well, George, you can take a new idea and run with it a bit, or just
> resist it right from the start.
>
> We can map from host names to ip addresses to routing actions, right?
>
> So clearly they're not unrelated or independent variables. There's a
> smooth function from hostname->ipaddr->routing.

Ah.  *This* is where you fell off the horse.

Nope; the first one isn't smooth; it's *completely arbitrary*.

The mapping is, in fact, DNS's raison d'etre.

The second one has a relatively smooth mapping *at any given point in time*,
but you can't fit a function to that; it is prone also to arbitrary changes
over time.

Cheers,
-- jra