IPv4 address length technical design

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sun Oct 7 19:52:25 UTC 2012

Ok, then let's take a step back, perhaps not permanently, and say DNS
resolution is only really useful for routers with more than just a
single default external route.

So DNS could be reduced to an inter-router only protocol, similar to
BGP in some sense.

I suppose one question is how do we discover non-existant hostnames
but we have strong analogues to that at the ICMP level already, host
unreachable etc, just another kind of error feedback. But I'll agree
that begs some thought.

As I said, the proposal was originally offered by me to a bunch of
young "hackers" in Singapore for the purpose of stimulating
discussion.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada