IPv4 address length technical design

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sun Oct 7 17:17:17 UTC 2012

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:
> It's occured to you that FQDNs contain some structured information,
> no?

It has occurred to me that the name on my shirt's tag contains some
structured information. That doesn't make it particularly well suited
for use as a computer network routing key. Or suited at all.

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:
> you can take a new idea and run with it a bit, or just
> resist it right from the start.

Intentionally crashing the moon into the earth is a new idea. How far
should we run with it before concluding that it not only isn't a very
good one, considering it hasn't taught us anything we didn't already
know?

> Van Jacobson had a similar observation vis a vis TCP and PPP header
> compression, why keep sending the same bits back and forth over a PPP
> link for example? Why not just an encapsulation which says "same as
> previous"?
>
> Now, how can that be generalized?

By observing that within a restricted subset of a problem domain there
may be usable techniques that aren't portable to the broader problem
domain. This is not news, and your comments have not bounded a subset
of the routing problem domain in a way that would make a discussion of
names as routing keys interesting.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004